Haynes® 242® Alloy
Seal rings, Containment rings, Duct segments, Casings, Fasteners, Nozzles, Pumps, Fluoroelastomer process equipment, HF acid processing equipment, Springs
HAYNES® 242® alloy is an age-hardenable nickel-molybdenum chromium alloy which can be strengthened through an ordering reaction upon aging, while maintaining high ductility. The alloy’s tensile and creep strength properties up to 1300°F (705°C) are considerably improved compared to solid solution strengthened alloys. The coefficient of thermal expansion for 242® alloy are also lower than most other alloys, and it has very good oxidation resistance up to 1500°F (815°C). Other notable characteristics include excellent low cycle fatigue properties and resistance to high-temperature fluorine rich environments.
Aerospace, Industrial Heat Treating, Power Generation, Chemical Processing
C: 0.05 – 0.15
Mn: 0.3 – 1.0
Si: 0.25 – 0.75
P: 0.03 max
S: 0.015 max
B: 0.015 max
Ni: Bal min
Cr: 20.0 – 24.0
Co: 5.0 max
Mo: 1.0 – 3.0
La: 0.005 – 0.05
W: 13.0 – 15.0
Al: 0.5 max
Fe: 3.0 max
Density: 0.327 lb/in3, (9.05 g/cm3)
Modulus of Elasticity (E):
At 70°F (20°C): 33.2 x 103 ksi (229 GPa)
Coefficient of Expansion:
8.3 µin/in-°F (70-1800°F)
15.0 µm/m-°C (25-1000°C)
Electrical Resistivity: 48.0 µohm-in, (122.0 µohm-cm)
Thermal Conductivity: 75.7 Btu-in/ft2-hr-°F, (11.3 W/m-°C)
Wire & Bar: ASTM B434 (chemistry only)
Typical Mechanical Properties
- Heat Treatment: 1900-2050°F (1040-1120°C)
- Tensile Strength: 110-140 ksi (758-965 MPa)
- Suggested Operating Conditions: Up to 1500°F (815°C)
- Heat Treatment: 1200°F (650°C) 24-48 hours
- Tensile Strength: 170 ksi min (1172 MPa)
- Suggested Operating Conditions: Up to 1200°F (650°C)
Haynes® 242® is a registered trademark of Haynes International, Inc.
For further information Contact:
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 1 847 695 1900
Elgiloy Specialty Metals – Wire Products
356 N.Cross Street
Sycamore, IL 60178 USA
Limitation of Liability and Disclaimer of Warranty:
• The content in these data sheets is provided primarily by third-party melting mills and is provided for reference only. It is not intended for engineering or design.
• Applications may be discussed, however, Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., does not recommend or endorse any material for any particular end use or application.
• The data included in this data sheet are typical values and may vary.
• Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, condition, suitability, performance, fitness for a particular purpose, or merchantability of any information contained in any data sheet.
• In no event will Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., be liable for any damages whatsoever arising from the use of the information included in the data sheets.