NITRONIC® 32 Alloy (XM-28)
Wire forms, racks/cages, screens, springs, concrete reinforcement, pole line hardware
NITRONIC 32® (XM-28) is a low nickel austenitic stainless steel often selected as an alternative to 304 stainless steel when higher strength and comparable corrosion resistance is necessary. The alloy’s high work hardening rate allows for increased strength while maintaining ductility. NITRONIC 32® can be readily hot worked or cold worked, with annealing recommended after severe cold forming.
Chemical Processing, Food Processing, Electric Power Distribution, Construction
C: 0.15 max
Mn: 11.0 -14.00
Si: 0.030 max
P: 0.060 max
S: 0.030 max
Ni: 0.50 – 2.50
Cr: 16.50 – 19.0
N: 0.20 – 0.45
Fe: Bal min
Density: 0.280 lb/in3, (7.78 g/cm3)
Modulus of Elasticity (E):
At 70°F (20°C): 29.0 x 103 ksi (200 GPa)
Coefficient of Expansion:
10.3 µin/in-°F (70-1000°F)
18.56 µm/m-°C (25-538°C)
Electrical Resistivity: 27.6 µohm-in, (70.1 µohm-cm)
Thermal Conductivity: 83 Btu-in/ft2-hr-°F, 12.0 W/m-°C
Wire & Bar: ASTM A313, A580, A276
Typical Mechanical Properties
- Heat Treatment: 1900-2050°F (1038-1121°C)
- Tensile Strength: 120-140 ksi (827-965 MPa)
- Suggested Operating Conditions: Up to 1100°F (593°C)
- Spring Temper
- Heat Treatment: Stress Relieve 750-950°F (400-510°C)
- Tensile Strength: ≤.020” dia. 300-355 ksi (2070-2450 MPa)
>.020” ≤.120” dia. 255-325 ksi (1760-2240 MPa)
>.120” ≤.278” dia. 215-280 ksi (1480-1930 MPa)
>.278” dia. 160-230 ksi (1105-1585 MPa)
- Suggested Operating Conditions: Up to 550°F (260°C)
NITRONIC® is a registered trademark of AK Steel.
For further information Contact:
Limitation of Liability and Disclaimer of Warranty:
• The content in these data sheets is provided primarily by third-party melting mills and is provided for reference only. It is not intended for engineering or design.
• Applications may be discussed, however, Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., does not recommend or endorse any material for any particular end use or application.
• The data included in this data sheet are typical values and may vary.
• Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, condition, suitability, performance, fitness for a particular purpose, or merchantability of any information contained in any data sheet.
• In no event will Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., be liable for any damages whatsoever arising from the use of the information included in the data sheets.