Haynes® 230® Alloy Wire
Wire & Bar: AMS 5878 & ASTM B435 (chemistry only)
Heat treatment baskets, Catalyst grid supports, Gas turbine components, Heat exchangers, Bellows, Wire mesh belts, Heat treating fixtures, Basket liners, Muffles/retorts, Dampers, Thermocouple sheathing, Flame shrouds
Haynes® 230® alloy wire is a nickel-chromium-tungsten-molybdenum alloy which combines excellent high temperature strength and oxidation resistance up to 2100°F with superior long-term stability and good fabricability. It has lower thermal expansion characteristics than most high temperature alloys and resists grain coarsening with prolonged heat exposure. It also exhibits excellent low cycle fatigue properties at high temperatures and is one of the most nitriding resistant materials available.
Industrial Heat Treating, Power Generation, Aerospace, Chemical Processing
C: 0.05 – 0.15
Mn: 0.30 – 1.00
Si: 0.25 – 0.75
P: 0.030 max
S: 0.015 max
B: 0.015 max
Ni: Bal min
Cr: 20.0 – 24.0
C0: 5.00 max
Mo: 1.00 – 3.00
La: 0.005 – 0.05
W: 13.00 – 15.00
Al: 0.50 max
Fe: 3.00 max
Density: 0.324 lb/in3, (8.97 g/cm3)
Modulus of Elasticity (E):
At 70°F (20°C): 30.3 x 103 ksi (209 GPa)
Modulus of Rigidity (G):
At 70°F (20°C): 11.5 x 103 ksi (79 GPa)
Coefficient of Expansion:
8.9 µin/in-°F (70-1800°F)
16.1 µm/m-°C (25-1000°C)
Electrical Resistivity: 49.2 µohm-in, (125.0 µohm-cm)
Thermal Conductivity: 62 Btu-in/ft2-hr-°F, 8.9 W/m-°C
Typical Mechanical Properties
- Heat Treatment: 2048-2246°F (1120-1230°C)
- Tensile Strength: 110-140 ksi (758-965 MPa)
- Suggested Operating Conditions: Up to 2100°F (1150°C)
Haynes® 230® and MULTIMET® are registered trademarks of Haynes International, Inc.
For further information Contact:
Limitation of Liability and Disclaimer of Warranty:
• The content in these data sheets is provided primarily by third-party melting mills and is provided for reference only. It is not intended for engineering or design.
• Applications may be discussed, however, Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., does not recommend or endorse any material for any particular end use or application.
• The data included in this data sheet are typical values and may vary.
• Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, condition, suitability, performance, fitness for a particular purpose, or merchantability of any information contained in any data sheet.
• In no event will Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., be liable for any damages whatsoever arising from the use of the information included in the data sheets.