Hastelloy® B-3® Alloy
W. Nr 2.4600
Reaction vessels, Welding wire, Fittings, Rings, Springs
Hastelloy® B-3® alloy is a nickel-molybdenum alloy with increased structural and thermal stability compared to that of Hastelloy® B-2®. It has excellent resistance to pitting, corrosion, and stress corrosion cracking in high-purity acid environments. It has excellent resistance to hydrochloric acid at all concentrations and temperatures. The alloy can withstand most concentrations of sulfuric, acetic, formic, and phosphoric acids, as well as other nonoxidizing media. Hastelloy® B-3® can be cold worked to increase strength with limited effects on general corrosion resistance but is recommended to be re-annealed for optimum stress corrosion cracking resistance.
C: 0.01 max
Mn: 3.0 max
Si: 0.10 max
P: 0.030 max
S: 0.03 max
Ni: 65 min
Cr: 1.0 – 3.0
M0: 27.0 – 32.0
Co: 3.0 max
Nb (Cb): 0.20 max
V: 0.20 max
Al: 0.50 max
Cu: 0.20 max
Ta: 0.20 max
Ti: 0.20 max
W: 3.0 max
Zr: 0.10 max
Fe: 1.0 – 3.0
Density: 0.333 lb/in3, (9.22 g/cm3)
Modulus of Elasticity (E):
At 70°F (20°C): 31.4 x 103 ksi (216 GPa)
Coefficient of Expansion:
6.5 µin/in-°F (70-1200°F)
11.8 µm/m-°C (25-600°C)
Electrical Resistivity: 53.8 µohm-in, (136.6 µohm-cm)
Thermal Conductivity: 78 Btu-in/ft2-hr-°F, 11.2 W/m-°C
Wire & Bar: ASTM B335
Typical Mechanical Properties
- Heat Treatment: 1950°F (1066°C)
- Tensile Strength: 120-150 ksi (827-1035 MPa)
- Suggested Operating Conditions: -320°F to 1200°F (-200°C to 650°C)
- Spring Temper
- Heat Treatment: None
- Tensile Strength: 200 ksi min (1379 MPa)
- Suggested Operating Conditions: Up to 750°F (400°C)
Hastelloy® B-3® and B-2® are registered trademarks of Haynes International, Inc.
For further information Contact:
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 1 847 695 1900
Elgiloy Specialty Metals – Wire Products
356 N.Cross Street
Sycamore, IL 60178 USA
Limitation of Liability and Disclaimer of Warranty:
• The content in these data sheets is provided primarily by third-party melting mills and is provided for reference only. It is not intended for engineering or design.
• Applications may be discussed, however, Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., does not recommend or endorse any material for any particular end use or application.
• The data included in this data sheet are typical values and may vary.
• Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, condition, suitability, performance, fitness for a particular purpose, or merchantability of any information contained in any data sheet.
• In no event will Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., be liable for any damages whatsoever arising from the use of the information included in the data sheets.