Alloy 2205 Stainless Steel
Mixing tanks, Heat exchangers, Pressure vessels, Extraction/distillation columns, Pulp processing equipment, Pipes, Pumps, Food processing equipment, Springs
Type 2205 is a duplex (austenitic/ferritic) stainless steel alloyed with chromium, molybdenum, and nitrogen for improved performance and corrosion resistance compared to 304 and 316 stainless steels. The alloy’s distributed austenite/ferrite microstructure combined with the alloying additions provide resistance to stress corrosion cracking, pitting, and chlorine induced crevice corrosion. Alloy 2205 also has acceptable oxidation resistance up to 980°C, but only for specific applications as the material can become embrittled when exposed to temperatures between 300°C and 1000°C for extended periods.
Chemical Processing, Oil & Gas, Nuclear Power Generation, Food Processing
C: 0.03 max
Mn: 2.00 max
Si: 1.00 max
P: 0.03 max
S: 0.02 max
Cr: 22.0 – 23.0
Ni: 4.5 – 6.5
Mo: 3 – 3.5
N: 0.14 – 0.20
Density: 0.284 lb/in3, (7.86 g/cm3)
Modulus of Elasticity (E):
At 70°F (20°C): 29.0 x 103 ksi (200 GPa)
Coefficient of Expansion:
11.1 µin/in.-°F (70-2000°F)
14.0 µm/m-°C (0-300°C)
Electrical Resistivity: 33.5 µohm-in, (85.1 µohm-cm)
Strip and Foil: ASTM A240, NACE MR0175/ISO 15156
Typical Mechanical Properties
- Heat Treatment: 1868-2050°F (1020-1121°C)
- Tensile Strength: 120 – 150 ksi (825-1035 MPa)
- Suggested Operating Conditions: -58°F to 572°F (-50 to 300°C)
- Spring Temper
- Heat Treatment: Stress relieve as needed
- Tensile Strength: 200 ksi (1300 MPa)
- Suggested Operating Conditions: Up to 550°F (288°C)
For further information Contact:
Phone: 1 888 843 2350
Elgiloy Specialty Metals – Strip Products
1565 Fleetwood Dr.
Elgin, IL 60123 USA
Limitation of Liability and Disclaimer of Warranty:
- The content in these data sheets is provided primarily by third-party melting mills and is provided for reference only. It is not intended for engineering or design.
- Applications may be discussed, however, Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., does not recommend or endorse any material for any particular end use or application.
- The data included in this data sheet are typical values and may vary.
- Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, condition, suitability, performance, fitness for a particular purpose, or merchantability of any information contained in any data sheet.
In no event will Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., be liable for any damages whatsoever arising from the use of the information included in the data sheets.