254 SMO® Alloy
Desalination equipment, Saltwater handling, Flue gas desulfurization, Food processing equipment, Heat exchangers, Pulp mill bleach systems, and Oil distillation.
254 SMO® is a high-alloy super-austenitic stainless steel with low carbon content that was originally developed for use in seawater and other aggressive chloride-bearing environments. It demonstrates outstanding resistance to pitting, crevice corrosion stress cracking, and corrosion fatigue uniform corrosion, with strength that is twice that of the 300 series stainless steels. With high levels of chromium, molybdenum, and nitrogen, 254 SMO® is frequently used in high chloride environments, such as brackish water, seawater, pulp mill bleach plants, and other chloride process streams. For certain applications it has been found to be a more cost-effective substitute for high nickel and titanium alloys.
Chemical Processing, Food Processing, Oil & Gas, Power Generation, Pharmaceutical
C: 0.020 max
Mn: 1.00 max
Si: 0.080 max
P: 0.030 max
S: 0.010 max
Cr: 19.5 – 20.5
Ni: 18.7 – 18.5
M0: 6.0 – 6.5
N: 0.18 – 0.25
Cu: 0.59 – 1.00
Density: 0.290 lb/in3, (8.0 g/cm3 )
Modulus of Elasticity (E):
At 70°F (20°C): 28.3 x 103 ksi (195 GPa)
Modulus of Rigidity (G)
At 70°F (20°C): 10.9 x 103 ksi (75 GPa)
Coefficient of Expansion:
9.17 µin/in.-°F (86-200°F)
16.5 µm/m-°C (30-100°C)
Electrical Resistivity: 34 µohm-in, (86 µohm-cm)
97.2 Btu-in/ft2hr-°F, (212°F)
14.0 W/m-°C (100°C)
Strip and Foil: ASTM A240
Typical Mechanical Properties
- Heat Treatment: 2100-2192°F (1150-1200°C)
- Tensile Strength: 100-120 ksi (690-830 MPa)
- Suggested Operating Conditions: -320°F to 1000°F (-196°C to 538°C)
For further information Contact:
Limitation of Liability and Disclaimer of Warranty:
- The content in these data sheets is provided primarily by third-party melting mills and is provided for reference only. It is not intended for engineering or design.
- Applications may be discussed, however, Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., does not recommend or endorse any material for any particular end use or application.
- The data included in this data sheet are typical values and may vary.
- Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, condition, suitability, performance, fitness for a particular purpose, or merchantability of any information contained in any data sheet.
In no event will Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., be liable for any damages whatsoever arising from the use of the information included in the data sheets.