Alloy 321 Stainless Steel
Annealing covers, High-temperature tempering equipment, Diesel and heavy-duty automotive exhaust, Firewalls, Stack liners, Boiler casings, Welded pressure vessels, Aircraft components, Bellows, Oil refinery equipment, and Springs
Type 321 is a stabilized austenitic stainless steel, similar to type 304, but alloyed with titanium for use in applications involving continuous or intermittent service at 800-1500°F (427-816°C). 321 stainless has excellent resistance to oxidation and intergranular corrosion, while also possessing good creep strength compared to other 300 series stainless steels. The alloy is strengthened only through cold work and can be fabricated, machined, and welded via most conventional processes.
Aerospace, Oil & Gas, Chemical Processing, Food Processing, Waste Treatment
C: 0.08 max
Mn: 2.00 max
Si: 0.75 max
P: 0.045 max
S: 0.030 max
Cr: 17.0 – 19.0
Ni: 9.0 – 12.0
Ti: 5*(C+N) – 0.70
N: 0.10 max
Density: 0.290 lb/in3, (8.09 g/cm3)
Modulus of Elasticity (E):
At 70°F (20°C): 28.0 x 103 ksi (193 GPa)
Modulus of Rigidity (G)
At 70°F (20°C): 11.2 x 103 ksi (78 GPa)
Coefficient of Expansion:
11.2 µin/in.-°F (32-1500°F)
20.2 µm/m-°C (0-871°C)
Electrical Resistivity: 28.4 µohm-in, (72 µohm-cm)
111 Btu-in/ft2hr-°F, (212°F)
16.0 W/m-°C (100°C)
Strip and Foil: AMS 5510, ASTM A240
Typical Mechanical Properties
- Heat Treatment: 1750-2050°F (954-1121°C)
- Tensile Strength: 70 – 100 ksi
- Suggested Operating Conditions: up to 1500°F (816°C)
For further information Contact:
Phone: 1 888 843 2350
Elgiloy Specialty Metals – Strip Products
1565 Fleetwood Dr.
Elgin, IL 60123 USA
Limitation of Liability and Disclaimer of Warranty:
- The content in these data sheets is provided primarily by third-party melting mills and is provided for reference only. It is not intended for engineering or design.
- Applications may be discussed, however, Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., does not recommend or endorse any material for any particular end use or application.
- The data included in this data sheet are typical values and may vary.
- Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, condition, suitability, performance, fitness for a particular purpose, or merchantability of any information contained in any data sheet.
In no event will Elgiloy Specialty Metals, a Division of Combined Metals of Chicago L.L.C., be liable for any damages whatsoever arising from the use of the information included in the data sheets.